free Internet

Friday, September 28, 2007

Chapter 6: One Week Later

(This story begins approximately 5 millennia before the disappearance of the Island of Atlantis.)

“My Lady Atlantis,” drawled Twa as he strolled into the dining hall, devoid of anyone but them.

Hiding a grimace at hearing Twa’s voice, Atlantis put down the fruit she was eating and dabbed her mouth. “The top of the morning to you Twa.”

Twa jumped up in the chair and knelt on his knees and put his elbows on the table and cupped his cheeks in his hands as he gazed at Atlantis. “When are you going to tell your Mates?”

Startled at his inquiry, Atlantis clasped her hands tightly together in her lap, hiding them under the table so Twa wouldn’t see her anxiety she blinked at him owlishly and muttered, “I am sure you know what you are speaking of and it seems to be all riddle’s to me.”

Undaunted by Atlantis’s sharp comeback, he knew that she wasn’t about to reveal her secret yet. Feeling the tension in her he smiled and said, “Really Atlantis you need to be more trusting of me you know.”

Blinking at her old adversary, Atlantis smirked and said, “Trusting? That’s a quaint way to describe our relationship.”

“You do realize Atlantis that I have volunteered my services to that of Lord Oberon and Lord Tajor that it also extends to you as their Lady and v’ma’ter’a?”

Using her magic, Atlantis picked up the apple she had been eating and sent it flying to the floor, raising and eyebrow she said, “Fine pick it up.”

Twa keeping his eyes on Atlantis’s gaze pointed to the floor and raised it back to the table and placed it on the table in front of her plate. Eyes twinkling, “Really Atlantis you must truly be more subtle in your mischief as no one enjoys a bore.”

Jaw dropping Atlantis scowled at Twa and demanded, “What is it that you want Twa?”

“I want to serve you as I do my Lords, however, I see that I have much atoning to make up for from a century and a half ago, will you allow me to make amends?”

Contemplating the Elemental in front of her, Atlantis knew it would be foolhardy to try to go up against him as he was forty-seven centuries older then her, she had been lucky to catch him off guard when she was a Little One and knew that warring with him in her new home would be foolish. Sighing she knew that it was not in her to hold a grudge and she did want to be at peace with him. “All right Twa, I will allow you to make amends.”

Thrills raced up and down his spine, Twa held out his hand and said, “Shake on it?”

Knowing that this would be the final say in the matter she placed her hand in his and said, “I allow you make amends and we both will know when the past is past and our future is bright.”

Twa was impressed with her formal declaration, and declared, “It is agreed.”

Atlantis continued eating and watched Twa’s eyes twinkle merrily as he contemplated her under half lowered eyelids and casually said, “You’ve taken on some old stogies you know.”

Coughing and choking on the drink she had been drinking, she spewed it all over, quickly using her magic; the droplets froze in mid air, reversed them, and settled in an empty dish on the table. “Twa! You almost got a face full of drink. You must be more careful as to the stuff you say when I’m eating. Old stogies? You’d better not let them hear you say that.”

“Well they are and its true. They don’t have fun any more. You are young and it’s your duty to remind them about fun and games.”

Raising an eyebrow at that declaration Atlantis reached for the wet cloth, warming it with magic, she cleaned her hands and mouth. “And I supposed you have a perfect way of reminding them of that?”

Sitting back on his heels, Twa put a hand across his chest and said, “Me? Remind them? Hardly, but I think you’ll have plenty of ideas all of your own, of course I would be honored if you looked to me for guidance.”

Chuckling Atlantis said, “Okay I’ll bite, what is your plan to remind my Mates that fun is the order of the day?”

Smirking, Twa leans forward and whispers, “You have perfect control of your magic its innate so you can do anything you please with it. You could do any number of things to interrupt their day and their schedules, like freezing the pool, exploding items that Oberon is working with, or at least pretending to have them explode, optical illusions, or flood Tajor's garden.”

Eyes round Atlantis said, “They’d just get rip roaring mad at me.”

“Perhaps, but then you could put your fingers in your ears and say neener, neener, catch me if you can, and then poof off to another room, leaving a faint magical trail for them to follow, a game of magical tag.”

Atlantis giggled and admitted that the idea did indeed appeal to her. “Magical tag, hmm, interesting of course, they would try to cheat by reading my mind to see where I was planning to land next. Hmm, I could lay out a false trail there and they haven’t spent much time in my mind as I have spent in theirs.”

“Now that’s the spirit,” exclaimed Twa, “Here have this.” Holding out his hand a ring appeared.

“When you play with them, this will give you complete invisibility.”

“Really? I can be in a room, but they won’t see me?”

“That’s right.”

Smiling Atlantis picked up the gift and put it on her index finger. “Can you see me?”

Twa laughed and said, “Of course I can see you, as it is only attuned to your Mates.”

“Oh,” Atlantis sighed in disappointment.

Laughing Twa exclaimed, “You sound so disappointed. You really don’t want to hide from your new best friend to you?”

Atlantis replied, “Hmmm, can I move objects with out being seen or does this only hide me?”

“It only hides you. So if you move something, then you’ll get caught.”

A shout from the top of the stairs, “Twa! Have you seen Atlantis?” asked Tajor.

Winking at Atlantis Twa said, “Yes, my Lord I have seen her.”

Sighing in frustration at the Elemental’s emphasis on seen, indicating that he meant that he knew what she looked like. Sighing, Tajor said, “That’s not what I meant, by seen, of course you know what she looks like, I mean have you seen her today?”

“Of course I have seen her today,” replied Twa, adding a dose of disgust in his voice.

Tajor growled. “Do you know where she is right this minute?”

“Yes I know where she is right this minute.”

Grinning Atlantis made the wind rustle around Tajor teasing him, caressing him. A giggle escaped as he spun around to see if she was behind him. Her magic pulled him away from Twa and outside, where the whirlwind of her powers kept him chasing, what he believed to be her, but was instead an optical illusion.

After awhile of playing with Tajor, Atlantis allowed her powers to dissipate. Giggling, Atlantis said to Twa, “You are right about one thing Twa, this will be fun. Tajor is standing out there with his hands on his hips and trying to explain to Oberon that he was chasing me not nothing as Oberon claims.”

Rubbing his hands together, Twa exclaimed, “I’m going to go out there and witness this.” He disappeared.

Jumping up Atlantis hurried outside and stopped at the top of the stairs leading out when she heard Tajor exclaim, “I tell you Oberon, I was trying to find Atlantis and Twa was giving me the run around and then a breeze came up and caressed me and I followed it outside. It was Atlantis’s magic I tell you and she’s hiding from me.”

Looking down at his v’ma’ter’i, Oberon was highly amused. He glanced around and said, “Well, I’m telling you my love, that I don’t feel her magic at all.”

Atlantis allowed a small puff of wind to caress Oberon’s earlobe. He stiffened as he saw a smirk cross Tajor’s face. He looked around him and didn’t see a thing. Atlantis heard through her link with her Mates that they were conferring.

“I thinks she’s playing a game with us,” said Oberon.

“You think?” demanded Tajor.

Oberon chuckled.

“So how do we catch her?” inquired Tajor.

“Oh, I think we should ignore her.”

Atlantis allowed her magic to surge and pick Oberon up, flipping him over, gently setting him down on the grass at Tajor’s feet. Tajor looked down at his Mate sitting back on his heels looking up at him.

Using the mind link Tajor said, “Ignore her hmm?”

Oberon grinned; gaining his feet he used his magic to scan the grounds for his v’ma’ter’a. He was puzzled when he could not find her magic, but he knew she had not gone far, but was puzzled that he could not find her. He quickly used his tenuous link to her mind to carefully look out of her eyes, she was giggling to herself very pleased with the mischief she had created.

Aloud he said to Tajor, “I have work to do. I’ll see you at eventide. See if you can’t find our Little Elf and bring her to dinner too.”

Casually, Oberon climbed the steps and just as he passed Atlantis’s position he disbelieved his eyes and grabbed her and tossed her over his shoulder and swatted her behind, “Play games will me, will you doll? Now I can teach you about games my Wee Elf.”

Atlantis’s stomach lurched when Oberon grabbed her around the waist and turned her over his shoulders and gave her a swat. “Come Tajor, let’s teach our v’ma’ter’a all about games.”

Tajor’s body reacted to the sinfully exotic flavor of his lover’s voice, he studied Oberon’s arms, seeing nothing over this shoulder, but Oberon thought he had caught Atlantis. Running to catch up with him, he asked, “Ah, Oberon, what are you doing?”

Laughing a carefree laugh that slid over Tajor’s spine like a smooth, rich dessert, Oberon said, “I am going to tie Atlantis up, and teach her what happens to very naughty little Elves that happen to belong to me.”

© All Rights Reserved. Copyrighted September 2007, Version I, by Georgia Lee Jones.